Using Your Own Vehicles

Due to covid-19 we are not offering any driver training at this point in time we do not think its safe to ask our staff to put their lives and family lives at risk with training in a confined space like a truck cab. Other firm don’t share the same values towards their staff  like we do they will offer training in a confined space. You need to ask your self do i want to put my life and families life at stake by sharing a truck.

Cat C & Cat C+E Training


Using Your Own Vehicles


In This Section You Can Find Training Information

For using your own vehicles

Cat C & Cat CE


Option One Using Your Vehicle:

We can supply our qualified trainer to attend your site the hourly fee is £35 per Hour. Minimum training time is 4 hours subject to location. We suggest a training period from 16 hours including the driving test period for those with experience of driving these vehicles ( not for a novice ) 

From £560.00


Option Two Using Your Vehicle:

20 Hours training and test for those with a little are no experience From £700.00


Subject to your location an addition fee might be payable for travel to your site


Documentation required prior to booking and taking this course:



You need to be 18 or over.

Have a full uk car driving licence.

You need to have got your provisional Cat C driving licence and passed your Lgv theory and hazard test.


To take the Cat C+E training (old style class one artic / draw bar) training you will need to have passed the Cat C driving test this is the old style class 3 and class 2 driving licence.

You do not need to re take the theory and hazard test after passing the Cat C test.


LGV medical £50 / £55 pay this direct to the Doctor.

Theory and Hazard test £37 pay this direct to the Dvsa.

Click the photo HOW TO GET STARTED in the main menu and in step one and step two you will see all the links / telephone numbers to get your D2 and D4 forms from the DVLA and how to book your own medical and theory/hazard test for the cost price.

And links to study details for the theory and hazard test.

Watch out for those who offer to book them for you they will book them but they will also charge you more than the cost price.


Vehicle requirements to be used for the driving test 

And the required loads that must be carried for the driving test:


Your test will be cancelled and you’ll lose your fee if your vehicle does not meet the rules.


All vehicles used for category C, C+E, tests must be capable of 50mph.

They must be fitted with:


  • 2 sets of externally mounted nearside and offside mirrors – one for the driver and one for the examiner



  • seat belts fitted to seats used by the examiner or any person supervising the test


  • a tachograph


  • an anti-lock braking system (ABS) – trailers do not need to be fitted with ABS


Rules for large goods lorries: categories C and C+E

Category C vehicles are large goods lorries:

  • with a MAM of at least 12 tonnes
  • at least 8 metres long
  • at least 2.4 metres wide

The vehicle must have a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.


Category C+E vehicles must be at least 2.4 metres wide. There are 2 types of C+E test vehicle:

  • a drawbar combination of a category C vehicle and trailer with a MAM of at least 20 tonnes and a length of at least 7.5 metres from coupling eye to extreme rear and a combined length of at least 14 metres
  • an articulated lorry with a MAM of at least 20 tonnes, a minimum length of 14 metres and maximum length of 16.5 metres


Minimum load requirement

The table shows:

  • which vehicles and trailers need to carry a minimum weight for the test
  • what the minimum load requirements are
Vehicle category Vehicle or trailer affected Minimum real weight Minimum load requirement
C Vehicle 10,000 kg 5 x 1,000 litre IBCs
C+E ‘drawbar’ vehicle Towing lorry and trailer 10,000 kg for lorry and 5,000 kg for trailer 5 x 1,000 litre IBCs (lorry) and 3 x 1,000 litre IBCs (trailer)
C+E articulated lorry Semi-trailer 15,000 kg 8 x 1,000 litre IBCs
C1+E Trailers 800 kg 600 kg of aggregates or one IBC of 1,000 kg or 600 kg capacity when filled with water


Rules about the load

The load can be water or bagged aggregates like sand, stone chippings, gravel or any other recycled material packages (but not toxic materials). Bagged aggregates can only be used for the C1+E category.

Bagged aggregates must be in sealed transparent bags and must:

  • all weigh the same
  • be at least 10kg
  • have the weight clearly stamped on them

Water must be in intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) made from semi-transparent moulded plastic usually reinforced with a wire framework.

The examiner can inspect an IBC used as ‘load’ for the test, so it’s important that they can see it has the correct water level.

You cannot use any other type of load.

The load must be secured appropriately onto the vehicle or trailer.


Minimum real weight

The ‘real weight’ is the actual weight of the vehicle and the load combined. This cannot be more than the MAM.


On completion of the Cat C course and all tests are passed:


You will be licensed to drive all goods vehicle.


Towing a trailer with a C vehicle you’re limited to 750Kg


To enable you to tow larger trailers you will need to pass the Cat C+E driving test

Using Your Own Vehicles

Small Lorries

Lorries between
3,500 and 7,500kg
7 1/2 Ton

Using Your Own Vehicles

Small Lorries with Trailer

Between 3,500 kg and 7,500 kg towing trailer over 750 kg total weight not more than
12,250 kg
C1 + E
7 1/2 Ton with Trailer

Using Your Own Vehicles

Large Lorries

All Lorries over 3,500 kg
any number of axles. It can
tow a single axle trailer up to 750 kg
2 or 3

Using Your Own Vehicles

Large Lorries with Trailer

Rigid Vehicles over 3,500 kg towing trailers over 750 kg
C + E

Using Your Own Vehicles

Articulated Lorries

Articulated Lorries and rigid Vehicles over 3,500 kg and single axle trailers over 5,000 kg or any other trailer over 750 kg
C + E

Should you have any questions then please do not hesitate to call. 07711 306605 |